Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Re-purpose, re-use, recycle, oh my.....

The quilt I'm working on now uses some very old fabric, some new fabric, and some fabric that formerly had a different purpose.
 I got this embroidered runner/dresser scarf last fall at a garage sale.  You can see the price..... $1.00.  You can also see that it had an issue........ little holes.  It looked like possible cigarette burns.  Other spots looked like maybe it had a little mildew damage.  Anyhow, I was able to salvage most of it.

I cut the embroidered sections into 6 1/2 inch squares.  I wasn't able to center the embroidered swirls perfectly, but that will only add to the interest!  :)  The fabric feels like a high quality cotton, perhaps linen blend.  I was able to use approx 80% of it.

This blue and white plaid is actually supposed to be a dishcloth.  It is 100% cotton, but not absorbent like I think a dishcloth should be.  I believe it came in a package with several towels - terry cloth, and they were fine.  There were 3 or 4 of these dishcloths, and after trying them out once, I never used them again, as they just did not work.  They too, will be used in my current project.  I cut them into 6 1/2 squares as well, and 3 1/2 inch squares, and 2 inch squares.  

I also had a half apron that I bought for 50 cents at a thrift store.  It is made up of squares of old feedsack fabric.  I promise a picture will be coming.  I have been able to get quite a few 2 inch squares out of of it.
Several months ago, I was "gifted" a big box of vintage fabric.  Some of the prints are sooo ugly.  Some are definitely not 100% cotton, or anything that you would want to use in a quilt.  But a good portion of them are neat little calicos...... they will be going into this quilt as well......

Hoping to post my progress on this later in the week!

And now.....
Going to see son #1 today, and taking a replacement of one of his Christmas presents.  The original was cracked and had a leak.  And since he has had to wait so long for it, I made something to go with it.....
A very simple mug rug....... I was pressed for time, so just used the mustache fabric I have for both back and front, quilt batting in the middle.  Sewed right sides together, left an opening, turned right side out, and top stitched around the whole thing.   

1 comment:

joe tulips said...

This is all so fabulous. I have no idea where you are going with it. I can't wait to see. I remember the fabric box!
The mustache mug and rug are adorable.