Search This Blog

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vintage scrappy quilt is done

Last night, I finished sewing the binding on my vintage-looking scrappy quilt.  I washed it and dried it in the dryer.  It was a little windy this afternoon, but decided to take a few pictures anyhow.


I've decided that it's my new favorite quilt.  At least for now, until I make something else that becomes my favorite.  (That's how it seems to work!)
I first talked about this quilt back here.  It's made with recycled fabric, and some old stuff from my stash, along with some new stuff.  I wanted it to look sweet and old fashioned.  My original inspiration came from this site.  I don't know where the picture originally came from.  I was also inspired by this lovely quilt.  My only regret is that I wish I would have made it just a little larger.  I want to use it on my bed, which is queen-sized, and it doesn't hang down quite enough on the sides.  I have a really thick mattress, and I should have thought about that when I was sewing all those blocks together.  But, as I recall, I was really tired of making blocks!  :)
Here's a closer look of it blowing in the wind!

And here's a shot of the back, although it's not a very good one!
The backing fabric is pale blue with white polka-dots.  You are actually seeing the front through the back here.  I added the 2 rows of blocks on the back.  I guess I should have used them on the front instead!  The binding is the same fabric as the back.... I really liked the way it looks.  At first I was thinking that the binding should be red, but every one of the reds in my stash that I "auditioned" did not look good.  
I'm linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts "Finish it up Friday".  Have a great weekend everyone!



16 comments:

Sheila said...

Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL. A quilt that says comfort and warmth. I love everything about it. Truly well done.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

I really like how all the blocks look together. It is such an awesome quilt!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think red binding might have been too bold. It is more old fashioned and soft looking with the light binding. It is a great quilt.

Snowcatcher said...

Too bad it doesn't fit your bed, but man is it a beautiful quilt! Love how you pieced the back!

Glinda ♥ said...

It's my new favourite too, Karen! Lovely quilt and great that you used up scraps - I'm sure it will still look fabby on your bed :)

Cheryl said...

love this...crisp, clean and even recycled!

joe tulips said...

It is absolutely beautiful. Awesome quilt. Can't wait to see your next favorite!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Oh I am in love with this quilt! Really really gorgeous!

joe tulips said...

I had a thought this morning. How short is it? What if you added some ruffle fabric, like what a bed skirt can be made of, to three sides? Layered skirting look.

Anonymous said...

Far out. I'd go with 'favourite' for that beauty, too. I'm loving that its made of recycled fabrics, too.

Karee said...

Another gorgeous quilt! Gosh, I love it. You have great color sense.

hydeeannsews said...

already done?! wow. it looks great and super vintage-y. very nice.

Béa said...

Very beautiful, love your version.

Margaret said...

Wow! Your Penny Patch is stunning! I can see why it's your new favorite. Congrats on a beautiful finish!!

Rachel said...

Beautiful colors!

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful quilt. Love the colors ... <3 Pat