Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bright baby quilt on a dreary day

I finished hand sewing the binding on this baby quilt late yesterday afternoon.  It will be a gift for a new baby girl.  I know of a lot of babies that will be arriving later this spring and summer, so I will be making more baby quilts. 
I thought this photo shows had good contrast with the brightness of the quilt, to the dull, dreariness of the day today.  There are remnants of snow in the background, and it sounds like more snow to come tonight. 
My oldest son and daughter-in-law had given me a bunch of 4 inch squares of fabric.  There weren't enough for a whole quilt, so I cut a few more.  I also cut 2 1/4" squares to make the smaller 4 patch units, and 7 1/2" squares for the larger units. 
 
I machine quilted a quarter of an inch on either side of the blocks, using a variegated purple thread.  I probably won't do that again, as I am not liking the dark thread showing up on the fabric.  I did some hand quilting - x's across all the largest blocks in white #8 pearl (perle?) cotton.  I had a terrible time finding #8 pearl cotton in anything other than white, cream, black and burgundy.  I think next time, I'll have to order it online.
I used a sheet for backing, and I'm not caring for how the quilting shows up.  Oh well.  Live and learn!
 
 


9 comments:

Lynette said...

I really love the cheeriness of this. :D It's really a pretty little quilt. Nice touch with the hand stitches, too.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I love the bright colors, that turned out so cute!!

joe tulips said...

Love the brightness. Nice contrast to the snow that is predicted!
I also love the way the quilting shows on the back. I think it looks cool!

Browndirtcottage said...

Sew. Much. Cuteness.
Bright and cheery for a little one and I don't see ANYTHING wrong with how you quilted it. I think the darker thread adds a 'little sumthing' extra. It will be used and loved!!

More babies coming? Sounds like you better get
busy!!

Maggie said...

What a gorgeous, bright and colourful quilt! Lucky baby. X

beth said...

What a FUN quilt! Love all that color.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The baby will love it and probably run her finger along the darker stitching lines. I usually try to match my thread pretty close and the few times I have gone with contrast I have not been as happy with it either.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

What a great fun quilt....super idea and very colorful!

Glinda ♥ said...

I love it, Karen! Until I read to the end, I thought, 'what great quilting,' I assumed it was deliberate! And the hand quilting is a great bonus feature. Lovely quilt, m'dear :)