Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Quilts made pre-blog

I made quilts before I started the blog.  I'm sure most of you did.  And I decided tonight that this might be the time to share some of them with you.  I won't post all of them tonight...... I'll spread it out over a few days!  Hoping not to bore anyone here....I started quilting with a vengeance in 2009.  My mom was sick - she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March.  I took as much time off from work as was possible, and spent a lot of time at my parents' house.  My mom slept a lot, and while she slept, I got out her old sewing machine and worked on a couple of quilts.  I had made quilts back in the 80's and 90's, and I will share some of them at another time.  Anyhow, I made these two quilt tops on my mom's old JC Penney Sewing machine....
Made from recycled shirts.

The fabric for the quilt was purchased in 2001, when my great-niece, who is holding the quilt was born.  I ended up finishing it for her baby sister, Helen.  Helen is not in the picture, she was about a month old when I finished the quilt.  These are 2 of her 3 older sisters.

Anyhow, my mom passed away in June of that year.  I guess you could say that quilting helped me through some difficult days.  Later that summer, I made these 3 quilts, for Helen's older sisters.


Probably not some of my best work, but they were made with love, and I used up a lot of fabric scraps that I had been collecting over the years!
I made my first Disappearing 9 patch for my daughter-in-law that Christmas.  

Then I made 3 baby quilts.  Lots of relatives and women I worked with were having babies...



And that's where I'll end for today.  Part 2 will be coming later this week!




1 comment:

joe tulips said...

I loved seeing these. NOT boring. Are you going back to that spurt in the 90's too??