Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

String Quilt








I finally got the binding finished on this quilt last weekend. I'm not very pleased with the way the picture turned out, as I don't think the colors look quite right. Also, it really looks wonky in the picture, and when I look at it in person, I don't see any "wonkiness". This was my first attempt at a "string" quilt. The quilt top is paper pieced on 8 1/2 squares of paper. I basically used my junk mail, squared up to 8 1/2 inches. The strip of muslin went down the center of each square, on the diagonal, followed by random fabric strips in a variety of widths. It is sashed with a light gray, and the border is a darker gray. I did some random piecing on the back. The binding is a cream with red dots.














2 comments:

joe tulips said...

seeing this makes me want to get strips out and work on string blocks. I love that back. I gotta try that someday.

Gene Black said...

I love string quilts. I like making them with uneven strips and leftover strips from other projects. I like your controlled palette also.
Do you use a local quilter?