Search This Blog

Friday, November 2, 2012

A Big Finish

I'm always happy when I am able to share finished projects here, and this is a big one.  I believe it was back in July when I was asked to help with a quilt for one of our local churches - to be auctioned off at their bazaar in November.  Well, back then, November seemed so far in the future!  The ladies had already picked out the fabric for the quilt and purchased it, and one of the members had donated some hand-embroidered blocks that her aunt made back in the 30's or 40's.  Julie came up with an idea and drew it out on graph paper for me.  I did the cutting and sewing, and then took it to my local quilt shop.  From there it was sent out to a long-arm quilter.  Well, I just got it back a few days ago, and here it is......
 
Julie has the perfect spot for taking photos of quilts - especially one this large.  It measures 97"x97".  Works great on a queen-sized bed.
 
Here you can see some of the details a little better.  The quilter did an amazing job - it's hard to capture all the details in the photo, but she out did herself.  She quilted around the embroidered design with a white or very pale thread, and then quilted pink flowers in the large green squares.
The owner of my favorite local quilt shop donated the batting, and the quilter seems willing to donate her quilting, but I don't think I can let her do that.  It just wouldn't feel right, and I certainly did not expect that.
I am linking this up to Crazy Mom Quilts "Finish It Up Friday".  Just in case the link doesn't work, here it is again:
The quilt is off to the good people of the United Methodist Church.  It will be on display this Sunday - the bazaar is a week from tomorrow.  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!  :)




8 comments:

Cutie and Company Quilts said...

A beautiful Irish Chain!! Well done! I finished an Irish Chain this summer and it turned out beautifully. I agree that the beauty and soft texture can not be captured in photos. I love the pink and green colors.

Sheila said...

Your quilt is lovely. Looks soft, sweet and cozy. I imagine it will do Very well at the auction.

Schulz Family said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love love your quilt. Cheers Karen

Glinda ♥ said...

Beautiful work, Karen :)

joe tulips said...

I hope they love it! The stitcher of the blocks has to be smiling down from heaven.

roadtrip*treasures said...

Awesome quilt as always...it will do great at the auction

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful quilt. I love the combination of the flowers and the greens!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

This quilt is very beautiful!