Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

A Bag

I finished a bag this week.  It's for my sister...... a birthday gift.  Her birthday was the 20th, so I'm just a few days late.  Anyhow, I used the quilters grid, which is made by Pellon.  It's basically fusible interfacing, with a grid on it.  I cut 2" squares, and ironed them on the Quilters Grid.  I guess I should have taken some pictures during the process, but I didn't....
 
I improvised a lot on a pattern I have.  I have made Simplicity 2274 a few times.  It's a nice big duffle-type bag.  You can see it here and here and also here.  Anyhow, I decided I didn't want the bag to be quite so big.  I also wanted it to be sturdier - a little stiffer, I guess.  So, I tried to copy the way Elizabeth Hartman constructed her Weekender bag, but not using that pattern.  Does that make sense?  Anyhow, this is what I came up with.  Not a huge bag, but it should work for overnight.  Oh, and I lined it, too.  And added interior pockets.  I quilted each section, using cotton batting and a heavy weight cotton duck for the backing.  Then there's the lining layer on top of that.  Sorry, no pictures of the lining...
The straps are nice and long..... and I didn't make them out of jute webbing this time.  Just black fabric, with a layer of interfacing.  I really don't like the way the jute webbing smells. 
I'll be sending it off to Colorado soon.
And it's ok..... my sister doesn't read my blog.  :)  I'm not sure she even knows I have one.......
I'm linking it up to Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday.
 
 


5 comments:

Sheila said...

I love it! I saw some of the quilters grid like you used. It was in a local quilt shop. Made crisp, clean squares!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

WOW!! This looks great and I am sure your sister will love it!

Glinda ♥ said...

A great bag, Jen, really professional looking :)

joe tulips said...

This is perfect. I was wondering just how big it was. So I am glad you included the...what it looks like on a person picture.
She will love it.

Valspierssews said...

Great bag. Love the colours. Is the grid method where you sew all the seams after sticking on the squares?
I complete understand about making a pattern your own. Much more fun to have a custom creation. Your sister will love it.