Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Quilt top made of recycled, reused, and re-purposed fabric

Perhaps you might remember me first talking about this idea I had back here.  Well, I got the quilt top sewn together tonight.  I think it needs borders, but I'm not sure what I want to use for that.  
Here's what I have so far --

I took lots of pictures of it, so bear with me.....


You can see the embroidered swirl in the photo above.... it was from a runner (or dresser scarf, as my mom always called them) that was in disrepair.  I was able to salvage most of it, and even used all the plain white fabric from it.

The small squares on the diagonal in this block are from the thrifted apron.

This top currently measures 78" x 84".  I'd like it to be a little larger - I want to use it on my queen-size bed.  My options would either be to add another row  - maybe one on the side and one on the top, which would make the quilt 84" x 90", or add a border or two.  I'm not sure if I have enough of any one fabric to make a border.  Piano keys or a pieced border is a possibility.  I'm just not sure.  I'll have to think on this one for a few days.  
My inspiration for this came from this lovely quilt.  Mine is not quite how I pictured it, but I do like it...... a lot! And since they didn't use a border on there's, maybe I shouldn't either.  What do you think?


6 comments:

joe tulips said...

There is an old fashioned sweetness about this. You can leave it as is and use it on the foot of the bed like the picture. It is still big enough to pull up over you when it is cold. Or just add another row on the two sides. I like the borderless look of it.
Now I need to go see what old stuff I have sitting around. Only later, heading for work right soon.

Lynette said...

What a gorgeous, sweet upcycled quilt!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Awesome quilt....I would not put borders on it like your inspiration quilt!

Nanette Merrill said...

Love quilts like this. It tells a scrappy story.

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh my Karen...I LOVE it!! I vote no for borders to keep that vintage feel and look! This is my kind of quilt....frugal scrappy and delightful!!!!

Sharon said...

I LOVE this! What a sweetly old-fashioned quilt. Great way to re-purpose and recycle! I think you've given me an idea for some old fabrics I have. Like Belinda, I love the frugal and scrappy quilts! This quilt is just super!

I wouldn't put a border on it either, which will retain that old-fashioned look. If you have enough fabric (and time and inclination), add some blocks to it to make it bigger.